dresser refurbish project

Dresser as I bought it, but with the neato retro hardware already removed.
Dresser as I bought it, but with the neat retro hardware already removed.

As I have mentioned in several previous posts, my husband and I are in the process of moving.  Since we are still waiting for the rest of our household goods to arrive via ship and truck, I am trying to keep busy with various projects around our new rental house.

We needed a new dresser, and we found this funky retro style dresser w/ mirror at a thrift shop.  I loved it, but it needed a bit of work.  Yay!  Project!  After getting some ideas through the magic land of pinterest, I decided to paint and distress it.  The dresser had a lot of scratches and nicks, so the distressed texture would work with the condition the dresser came in.

Sanded and ready for primer.
Sanded and ready for primer.

I lightly sanded the surface before I added a base primer.  After the primer had dried I applied three coats of paint.  I was working in my garage, and the weather was chilly, so my paint didn’t go on as smoothly as I would have liked, hence the need for three coats.  This process took several days, waiting for the paint to dry, then adding another layer.

Distressed paint surface--
Distressed paint surface–

Once the final coat was dry, I used steel wool and a high grit sandpaper to smooth out the thicker brush strokes as well as began working back through the paint to the wood for the distressing process.  I preferred to work horizontally and vertically while sanding.  I also used a stain to protect exposed wood, slightly darken the paint in areas, as well as tint the exposed white primer.

This is the finished dresser.  I am very pleased with the result.  This is my first time experimenting with this textural style.  My first project completed.  Hearts!

Finished dressed in our still empty loft bedroom.
Finished dressed in our still empty loft bedroom.
I used a contact-paper style wallpaper on the sides of the drawers.  I thought it was a fun accent.
I also used a contact-paper style wallpaper on the sides of the drawers. I thought it was a fun accent.

4 thoughts on “dresser refurbish project

Add yours

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: