Image 1: I combined small amounts of white, yellow and red acrylic paint on the pages and spread the paint over the pages with a palette knife in horizontal and vertical lines. The white paint blended into the white of the paper, but the acrylic paint provided slight thickness to give the page texture. On the left page, I sprinkled a very light amount of violet iridescent powder to mix in a darker contrasting color.
Image 2: Once the paint had completely dried, I dampened the pages with water. I used orange iridescent powder mixed with matte medium on the bottom of the left page to create the opaque patch of color. With my brush almost completely clean, with only a hint of the orange color, I painted the rest of the pages. Since the pages were damp, the color absorbed into the areas that were still clean paper, but had little effect on the areas already painted with acrylic. During this, I also adhered the circle in the upper left of the left page. Since the paper and page were both damp, the background colors were able to seep into the circle.
Image 3: I allowed that layer to dry fully, and then painted a thin coat of matte medium over both pages. This prevented any further color-bleeding from my iridescent orange color. Once that clear coating of medium had dried, I glued the torn paper and imagery of Virgin Mary and hand drawing (Dover copyright free imagery).
Finished Pages: I again used matte medium to glue the corseted woman and found text onto the right page, and let the pages dry. To finish the pages, I used Faber-Castell black India ink markers. I drew additional visual elements to help form the subtly dark atmosphere.